Sunday, May 15, 2016

Final Reflection

So this is the end of my course time here at Mount Saint Mary College.. perhaps for now?   This has been an incredible semester filled with a lot of work. Social Studies  is more than just a subject. Calling Social Studies a subject is an injustice. Social Studies is state of being.

What I mean by that is this: Social Studies in the classroom is an experience. This semester, we learned firsthand teaching the 5 E's of teaching. In order for a lesson to be more than just a lesson, it needs the 5 E's to be incorporated.




When you incorporate, Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate and Evaluate, you take and ordinary lesson and make it extraordinary. I  learned this firsthand this semester teaching Social Studies and Science for my other course.
   
Lessons take an interesting twist where students are engaged, listening, actively answering questions. It's a beautiful sight to see and empowering to experience it firsthand not only for myself, but for my fellow student teachers as well. I cannot thank our host cooperative teacher enough for volunteering her personal time to help and guide us through this semester. 

I know this reflection sounds repeated but I do have to make a reflection that only my blog may understand. After teaching two subject which I personally find exciting, I learned something about myself and my comfort level. Here is what I learned: I found myself more comfortable teaching material that I'm unfamiliar with but excited about. I was less comfortable teaching material I knew, but was less exciting. So what does this mean? Well, I'm not 100% sure but my interpretation is this: as we have learned this semester, no lesson is a lesson without the 5 E's. By adding the 5 E's, it certainly helps to elevate the lesson to another level. I'm still learning and certainly learned a lot this semester not just about teaching Social Studies and Science, I also learned more about myself. 

Finally, this reflection would not be possible without the commitment and dedication of Dr. Smirnova.  Thank you for the learning experience and helping me to grow.  :)

- MW

No comments:

Post a Comment